Microwave's glass shattered. What the heck?
Ant
2008-04-13 15:48:02 UTC
Hi! I hope these are the correct newsgroups to talk about microwaves
(not ovens).

This morning, I found out that the kitchen's microwave's door glass
shattered overnight (there's a hole on the glass and some shattered
pieces on the floor). It wasn't used/on overnight and was used yesterday
for dinner.

Does anyone know what the heck happened? I did a quick Google search and
found out this is not so rare since GE's microwaves does it too. I can't
seem to find anything on Sanyo's microwaves' glass shatterings. I did
find http://bringgoodthingstolife.org/ (6/28/2007) with a video of a
news report. The microwave is a few years old (don't remember the exact
year).

No one is hurt though, but that was scary. I am never going to be in
front of a microwave! I did notice one of the fire alarm was beeping
every five minutes, but I don't know if that was related or if it just
whining about low batteries. Also, the weather has been a lot warmer
during the daytime 90+ degrees(F) and 50s at night (maybe temperature
related to explode the glass?).

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Forbear, thou great good husband, little ant." --Richard Lovelace
/\___/\
\ _ / Remove ANT from e-mail address: ***@earthlink.netANT
( ) or ***@zimage.com
Ant
2008-04-13 15:52:50 UTC
Also, the microwave is near the refridegerator (on the right) and below
a vent (central air condition and heater were not used for weeks/a few
months). I don't think that would affect it since it had been like this
for many years including former microwaves that died (didn't shatter).
Post by Ant
[...]
"He who storms in like a whirlwind returns like an ant." --Borneo
/\___/\
Diane
2008-04-13 15:49:38 UTC
Post by Ant
Hi! I hope these are the correct newsgroups to talk about
microwaves (not ovens).
http://www.bringgoodthingstolife.org/contactus.htm

Contact GE

"Since 2002, the Consumer Product Safety Commission reports 35
incidents of microwave glass spontaneously exploding, "

" GE representatives say the microwave was manufactured by LG
electronics for General Electric "
http://kdka.com/watercooler/exploding.microwave.glass.2.285591.html
Thank you in advance. :)
Ant
2008-04-13 16:51:26 UTC
Wait, GE does Sanyo's microwaves?
Post by Ant
[...]
"When the people look like ants -- PULL. When the ants look like people
-- PRAY." --A skydiving quote
/\___/\
notbob
2008-04-13 16:59:29 UTC
Post by Ant
Does anyone know what the heck happened?
Did you check for bullet holes?

nb
Ant
2008-04-13 17:22:33 UTC
Post by notbob
Post by Ant
Does anyone know what the heck happened?
Did you check for bullet holes?
None found.
--
"Do not kill ants. They are your best friends." --Joe Brainard
/\___/\
pltrgyst
2008-04-13 22:19:44 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by notbob
Post by Ant
Does anyone know what the heck happened?
Did you check for bullet holes?
None found.
Do you have children?

-- Larry
Ant
2008-04-13 22:47:23 UTC
Post by pltrgyst
Post by Ant
Post by notbob
Post by Ant
Does anyone know what the heck happened?
Did you check for bullet holes?
None found.
Do you have children?
None. Well, I am the youngest offpspring (30+ years old :P) in the family.
--
"Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first
instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant, and she
dwacon
2008-04-15 00:00:05 UTC
[...]
It is obvious that your house is haunted.
--
the basement belongs to the water bugs
http://dwacon.blogspot.com
A***@zimage.com
2008-04-15 01:21:31 UTC
Post by dwacon
[...]
Yes, that can be a possibility. :)
--
"We are anthill men upon an anthill world." --Ray Bradbury
/\___/\
( )
Shawn Hirn
2008-04-18 14:50:41 UTC
Post by A***@zimage.com
Post by dwacon
[...]
Or more likely, someone else in the house broke the glass. The OP should
certainly contact the microwave oven's manufacturer to discuss the
problem.
Ant
2008-04-19 05:31:13 UTC
Post by Shawn Hirn
Post by A***@zimage.com
Post by dwacon
Post by Ant
[...]
None of the three members did it. It's too late now since the microwave
was placed with a new one and I doubt Sanyo would care since it is like
five years old or so.
--
"... [Let us inquire] what glory there was in an omnipotent being
torturing forever a puny little creature who could in no way defend